January 28, 2013
Hey guys! Welcome to Part 2 of our tour stop for
Splash into Spring Fling Blog Tour
presented by Sourcebooks!
Today, we’re so thrilled to have author, Hélène Boudreau stop by the blog for a quick Q & A!
In Real Mermaids Don’t Need High Heels, Jade can finally begin to get back to her normal life—that is until the ocean reels her back into a battle of mermaids. The Sadie Hawkins dance is coming up fast and Jade worries about asking Luke, but she’s got bigger fish to fry: the mer-world is on the brink of a civil war and Jade’s caught in the middle. This girl has gumption, but can she do it all? Can she find the most glamorous dress of her dreams, dive into a political battle of the sea, and finally figure out if she and Luke are officially dating? Whoever said high school was easy never had to hide a tail whilst winning over her dream boy.
Top Favs With Hélène Boudreau
You’re home alone, there’s a fire! Top 3 things you’d grab and save from the fire.
I would probably run for my life and leave everything but if I could choose three things to survive in a fire they would be:
1. My laptop! All my manuscripts and photos are on it so it would be a huge loss.
2. My kids’ stuffies. I would want them to have the things that give them the most comfort after such a tragedy.
3. My calf-length down jacket. It gets cold in Canada!
Top 3 Favorite snacks while writing and why:
1. 90% dark chocolate since I don’t drink coffee, it provides a happy boost to my day.
2. Lemon Perrier water because I gave up Diet Coke last summer and I miss the fizz.
3. Almonds because they don’t make crumbs that could get stuck in my keyboard. Been there—done that.
Top 3 favorite songs to listen to while writing and why:
I don’t listen to music while I write. Too distracting!
Top 3 favorite techniques to overcome writers block and why:
1. My kids give me three random words to incorporate in my writing session. Like for example, pumpkin, jack-in-the-box and flibberdijibbut, let’s say. I need to get pretty creative to figure out a way to include the words in my story but it’s amazing how often the words end up staying in my manuscript even after subsequent revisions.
2. A nice long walk to clear my mind.
3. Listening to my white noise app set on ‘Ocean Sounds’. Water just has a creative quality to it.
Top 3 favorite movies of all time and why:
The Princess Bride because, I mean, it’s THE PRINCESS BRIDE.
My Cousin Vinny because my husband and I quote it all the time. “What’s a yute?”
The Usual Suspects because the ending totally surprised me. I’m a plot figure-outer so that doesn’t happen very often!
Top 3 favorite gadgets and why:
1. The ‘Map My Walk’ app that measures how far you walk since I am trying to walk 2013 kilometers in 2013 and I love to see my mileage climb.
2. My 5-color pen for editing. I love green the best.
3. My multicolour sticky note dispenser for editing so I can mark my manuscript pages. I do a lot of editing!About the Author:
Hélène Boudreau writes fiction and non-fiction for children and young adults. She is also a compulsive walker, a chicklet wrangler and a lover of cheese and cheap chocolate.
Her tween novel REAL MERMAIDS DON’T WEAR TOE RINGS is a 2011 Crystal Kite Member Choice Award Finalist.
Complete the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win a copy of all three books in the series:
Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings, book 1
Real Mermaids Don’t Hold Their Breath, book 2
Real Mermaids Don’t Need High Heels, book 3