July 9, 2014
By: Margaret StohlPublished by: Little BrownTo Be Released on: July 8, 2014Series: Icons #2Add it to GoodReadsPurchase it From: Find A Retailer/Book Story near youThe Icons came from the sky. They belong to an inhuman enemy. They ended our civilization, and they can kill us.
Most of us.
Dol, Ro, Tima, and Lucas are the four Icon Children, the only humans immune to the Icon’s power to stop a human heart. Now that Los Angeles has been saved, things are more complicated – and not just because Dol has to choose between Lucas and Ro, the two great loves of her life. As she flees to a resistance outpost hidden beneath a mountain, Dol makes contact with a fifth Icon Child, if only through her visions. When Dol and the others escape to Southeast Asia in search of this missing child, Dol’s dreams, feelings and fears collide in an epic showdown that will change more than just four lives — and stop one heart forever.In this riveting sequel to Icons, filled with nonstop action and compelling romance, bestselling author Margaret Stohl explores what it means to be human and how our greatest weakness can be humanity’s strongest chance at survival.
Top Favs with Margaret Stohl
You’re home alone, there’s a fire! Top 3 things you’d grab and save from the fire.
- My HuluBingeFlix machine…I mean laptop. (And also my daughter who is never more than three inches away from it.)
- My signed copy of The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper because she is my idol and I was the president of her fan club in third grand and that book is perfect and it made me cry when an angel in the form of Victoria Stapleton from LBBYR got it for me.
- My husband’s robots and drones, because he builds them himself would never forgive me if I let them burn. (And also, my husband. Let’s not let him burn.)
Top 3 Favorite authors (dead or alive) and why
- Susan Cooper (see above)
- Dianne Wynne Jones because the Chronicles of Crestomancii made me fall in love with my first wizard, and also because Howl’s Moving Castle is incredible and inspired my favorite Hayao Miyazaki movie…
- Jane Austen because I loved Emma so much I named my oldest child after it.
Top 3 Favorite snacks while writing and why
- A whole avocados with olive oil dumped into the handy dandy olive oil hole stuck in the middle of them. Eaten with a spoon.
- Saltines because you can eat a hundred of them and keep going. Also they make a nice goo in your teeth that keeps feeding you for an hour after you eat them.
- All forms of caffeine, except Diet Crack I mean Coke, because I gave it up (again) 24 days ago at the time of this writing and it’s still killing me.
Top 3 Favorite books that inspired you to write and why
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, because it is smart and brave and a major inspiration when writing Beautiful Creatures. Also, Gregory Peck.
- The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. (see above)
- The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe. Because I’m still waiting for Aslan to come.
Top 3 favorite songs to listen to while writing and why
- The soundtrack of Spring Awakening because it’s full of angst like me. And great lyrics like “We all have our junk and my junk is you.”
- The Decemberists, for the same reason. Also I saw them play in person at Interlochen and it was relevatory.
- Rufus Wainwright because he’s a melancholy genius and I always appreciate a melancholy genius.
Top 3 favorite techniques to overcome writers block and why
- Change of scenery. I try to travel when I have writers block, but if that’s not possible, just moving to the public library or my backyard can get me back on track. If it’s really mission critical, there’s a monastery hotel I go to in Trastevere, Rome, and the nuns scare me into working.
- Talking it over with a friend. Talking through a rough part of your book can make your realize how to get through it. For me, those people are my husband or my daughters, my BC sister Kami Garcia, or my LA writing cabal Melissa de la Cruz and P. Bosch.
- Take a break. Sometimes no matter how hard you try to power through a block, you won’t get anywhere. Have a HuluBingeFlix breakdown, get some sleep and try again tomorrow. I also like to go into the garden and rake and water things. Sometimes I feel like I’m cleaning up dead words instead of dead leaves.
Top 3 musicians/bands/groups and why
- See songs.
Top 3 favorite gadgets and why
- Our Makerbot because we can build a little Tardis with it. Or many.
- My laptop because it writes books and rescues my brain with HuluBingeFlix like Orphan Black or OITNB. And the massive earphones I use to disappear into it.
- My husband’s drones and homemade robots because he is basically Tony Stark and chases me around the house with them. Which is very bad for the house.
Top 3 favorite dream destinations and why
- Bhutan. My Hong Kong friends just went and said it was unbelievable.
- South Africa. My husband lived there for two years and it’s a whole part of his life I have never seen and would like to. Also, hello safari.
- Wherever Pokemon World Championships are because that is where we have our annual family vacation. PokemonTCG, if you’re listening, those Hawaii years weren’t too shabby…
Margaret Stohl is a lifelong science fiction fan, former video game designer, coauthor of the New York Times bestselling Beautiful Creatures series, and author of Icons. She lives in Los Angeles, California, with her family.