July 30, 2014
Welcome to our Tour Stop for
Extraction (Extraction #1) by Stephanie Diaz
hosted by IFB tours.
Be sure to enter the giveaway found at the end of the post!
“Welcome to Extraction testing.”
Clementine has spent her whole life preparing for her sixteenth birthday, when she’ll be tested for Extraction in the hopes of being sent from the planet Kiel’s toxic Surface to the much safer Core, where people live without fear or starvation. When she proves promising enough to be “Extracted,” she must leave without Logan, the boy she loves. Torn apart from her only sense of family, Clem promises to come back and save him from brutal Surface life.
What she finds initially in the Core is a utopia compared to the Surface—it’s free of hard labor, gun-wielding officials, and the moon’s lethal acid. But life is anything but safe, and Clementine learns that the planet’s leaders are planning to exterminate Surface dwellers—and that means Logan, too.
Trapped by the steel walls of the underground and the lies that keep her safe, Clementine must find a way to escape and rescue Logan and the rest of the planet. But the planet leaders don’t want her running—they want her subdued.
With intense action scenes and a cast of unforgettable characters, Extraction is a page-turning, gripping read, sure to entertain lovers of Hunger Games and Ender’s Game and leave them breathless for more.
Series: Extraction #1
Release date: July 22nd 2014
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Top Favs with Stephanie Diaz
You’re home alone, there’s a fire! Top 3 things you’d grab and save from the fire.
1. My laptop.
2. My cell phone.
3. My old notebook full of stories.
Top 3 Favorite authors (dead or alive) and why
1. J.K. Rowling. I will be eternally grateful for the special world she created in her books, and eternally disappointed I can’t attend Hogwarts.
2. J.R.R. Tolkien. His books sparked my love for fantasy. Middle Earth is my everything.
3. John Green. He makes me laugh, cry, and everything in between. Plus I adore him as a person.
Top 3 Favorite snacks while writing and why
1. Frozen yogurt. My favorite thing is to go to Costco and eat swirl froyo in my car while brainstorming/writing on my phone.
2. Reeses Pieces. Actually, all things Reeses.
3. Anything chocolate. It just makes me happy.
Top 3 Favorite books that inspired you to write and why
1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. The magic of this series made me want to create my own magic with words.
2. The Giver by Lois Lowry. The book that first made me fall in love with dystopian stories, and inspired me to eventually write one.
3. The Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I was enthralled with this whole series as a young girl, and it inspired me to write my first full-length novel.
Top 3 favorite techniques to overcome writers block and why
1. Blasting movie sound scores in my ears and just thinking about the story.
2. Hiking on this hill near my house. There’s hardly ever people up there, so I can hike to the top and talk through scenes with myself.
3. Acting out scenes. Usually when I’m home alone. It helps me see the world better.
Top 3 musicians/bands/groups and why
1. Taylor Swift. Her songs are the soundtrack to my life, even when I can’t 100% relate to them.
2. Kina Grannis. I’ve loved her sweet, soulful music ever since I ran across her cover of “I’m Yours” on youtube.
3. John Williams. I’m a huge fan of film soundscores, and his creations are some of my favorites.
Top 3 favorite movies of all time and why
1. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is my number one favorite. Always and forever. How can anyone not love those adorable hobbits?
2. The Harry Potter series. The world, the characters…everything is just magical and wonderful.
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild. This one’s a recent addition, but it makes me feel so many things I have to include it.
Top 3 favorite actors/actresses and why
1. Jennifer Lawrence. She’s the bomb. ‘Nuff said.
2. Shailene Woodley. I admit I initially judged her for Secret Life, but she’s proved me wrong multiple times since then.
3. Amy Poehler. She’s golden in everything she’s in.
Top 3 favorite gadgets and why
1. Macbook Pro. Even though Apple products cost a trillion dollars, I prefer writing on my macbook over everything else. So I love it.
2. iPhone. I didn’t realize how nice it would be to have constant access to the internet (For research purposes, of course. Not for tumblr or anything) until I finally bought one.
3. Kindle. I still prefer hardcover books, but having a transportable virtual library is pretty sweet.
Top 3 favorite dream destinations and why
1. Great Britain. I’ve never been there (or anywhere in Europe), and I’m DYING to go. Especially to the British countryside.
2. Italy. Beautiful architecture, delectable food, people with cool accents…I need this place.
3. Belize. Ever since I read Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard, it’s been calling to me.
Twenty-one-year-old Stephanie Diaz wrote her debut novel, Extraction, when she should’ve been making short films and listening to college lectures at San Diego State University. When she isn’t lost in books, she can be found singing, marveling at the night sky, or fan-girling over TV shows.
Complete the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win!