August 13, 2013
Welcome to our stop for the 2nd annual
Authors Are Rockstars Tour!
We are sooooooooo excited to have Jackie Morse-Kessler as our
Jackie Morse Kessler grew up in Brooklyn, NY, with a cranky cat and overflowing shelves filled with dolls and books. Now she’s in Upstate NY with another cranky cat, a loving husband, two sons, and overflowing shelves filled with dragons and books (except when her sons steal her dragons). She has a bachelor’s degree in English and American Literature, and yet she’s never read any Jane Austen (with or without zombies). She also has a master’s degree in media ecology. (The living study of technology and culture. Which is cool, but she still can’t figure out how to use Tweetdeck.)
Jackie spends a lot of time writing, reading, and getting distracted by bright and shiny new ideas. (She just came up with a new idea right now.) She has a weakness for chocolate and a tendency to let her cat take over her office chair.
Why do I think that Jackie is a rockstar? Well, first of all, her writing is amazing! Her Riders of the Apocalypse series seriously blew my mind. They touched on sensitive subjects that many teens all over the world can relate to. And not only that, she incorporates it into a world that truly captures a reader’s attention and imagination. What I always looked forward to before delving into the world Jackie creates, is the dedication that is found at the beginning of the novel. They all gave me shivers and totally had my feels going…even before the story began:
Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse, #1):
If you have ever looked in the mirror and hated what you saw, this book is for you.
Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2):
If you’ve ever felt a rolling fury bury you alive, if you’ve ever screamer because the words just wouldn’t come, then this one is for you.
Loss (Riders of the Apocalypse #3):
If you’ve ever been pushed around and no one seemed to care, then this one is for you.
Breath (Riders of the Apocalypse, #4):
If you’ve ever had your trust broken so badly You asked yourself, “What’s the point?” Then this book is for you.
Every single one of these books grabbed my attention and confirmed that Jackie Morse-Kessler is an amazing storyteller. I’ve had the privilege of participating in a couple of her tours for her books, and she’s been nothing less than awesome! If you follow her on Twitter (which you totally should be btw), you can see her interacting with her fans constantly. She’s also one of the authors you’ll find in the upcoming charity anthology entitled Very Superstitious: Myths, Legends and Superstitions to benefit SPCA International. Total rockstar material, I tell ya! Would I ever want to meet her irl? Dude…in a heart beat!
So join me in welcoming Jackie Morse-Kessler to the blog (again!), and give her her rockstar props she totally deserves! Want to know more about Jackie? Today, she tells us 10 things we didn’t know about her!
Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Jackie Morse Kessler
10. Jackie is no longer five feet tall! Now she’s officially 4-foot-eleven-and-a-half. Either she’s shrinking, or the nurses at the doctor’s office are getting sadistic!
9. Like her husband and sons, Jackie practices tae kwon do and is working toward her black belt! She just got a little delayed when…
8. Jackie tore the ACL in her left knee in December 2012 (yeah, doing tae kwon do) and had reconstructive surgery in January 2013. It’s been daily physical therapy ever since, at least until…
7. Jackie will see her surgeon IN TWO WEEKS, on August 27, to see if she can finally return to tae kwon do! Please think positive thoughts, because she dearly wants to get back to kicking the heck out of people and breaking boards with her feet. (And testing for her black belt with her husband in May 2014!)
6. Jackie married the love of her life, the guy she fell in love with when she was 15. Okay, so he didn’t really know who she was back then. But they started dating when she was 24 and got married two years later.
5. Jackie wrote a book for her two sons, the incredible Precious Little Tax Deductions! She gave it to them for their birthdays this summer–and has been asked when the sequel will be ready. Guess she better get crackin’! (No, the book isn’t available for the public. If this changes, she’ll let everyone know. Loudly. Promise!)
4. Jackie has an awesome kitten named Onyx (guess what color her fur is), whose nickname is Nyxie. The kitten should have been named “Parkour,” because she literally climbs the walls and tears through the house full speed, even when she rounds the corners. Nyxie loves to hide in the shadows and jump out to swat Jackie’s butt when Jackie walks past. (Then it’s a game of “Roar, Kitty!” which is sort of like feline tag.)
3. Jackie is a Doctor Who fan who is looking forward to seeing what Peter Capaldi does with the role in Season 8 — but her Doctor is David Tennant.
2. Jackie has a condition called “Raynaud’s Phenomenon,” which affects her fingers and toes. (A pause while everyone Googles “Raynaud’s.”) Don’t worry, it’s not contagious. It’s primary, or “Raynaud’s Disease,” and luckily that means it’s not a symptom of something worse. If you ever see Jackie wearing gloves indoors, even during the summer, it’s not that she’s eccentric. (Well, not **only** because she’s eccentric.) It’s just that her fingers sometimes turn yellow and purple. It’s a neat party trick!
And the #1 thing you didn’t know about Jackie Morse Kessler:
1. Jackie has an idea for a Supernatural fanfic story, but she doesn’t know if she should write it. (Should she? Would you read it?)
You can check out our reviews of all these amazing books here:
Be sure to check out the other amazing blogs participating,
and to check out all the ROCKSTAR AUTHORS!
You can check them all our HERE!
Complete the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win:
A copy of HUNGER or any other Riders book, if the winner already has HUNGER,
plus a copy of VERY SUPERSTITIOUS once it’s available.